- Normal body weight — That’s what your heart is designed for.
- Blood sugar levels below 100 mg/dL—You’re efficiently getting energy to your cells, without extra blood sugar damaging your heart and arteries.
- Blood pressure below 120/80 — Everything is flowing smoothly.
- HDL Cholesterol above 59 and LDL below 100 — Your healthy cholesterol (HDL) is keeping your lousy cholesterol (LDL) under control.
- No tobacco — Congratulations!
or Old …
- Blood sugar of 126 mg/dL or higher — You may already be causing damage to your heart and need to take steps to prevent diabetes.
- Blood pressure of 140/90 or higher — Your heart has a harder time pumping your blood … your heart gets thicker and wears out faster. This needs to be fixed!
- HDL Cholesterol below 40 and LDL above 130 — Your lousy cholesterol (LDL) is way too high and likely already clumping up in your arteries. If a chunk breaks off, it can cause a heart attack or stroke. Healthy cholesterol (HDL) could help, but yours is too low to be able to clear out your arteries.
- Tobacco use — Every time you smoke or chew, nicotine narrows your blood vessels and makes your heart work harder. Tobacco can also cause your heartbeat to be irregular, even fatally irregular.
Are you ready to become young at heart? It starts with your annual HealthCheck and conversation with your health coach. Call or stop by the Health Center at your mine or office today.