Lunch is an important meal. Just as breakfast is wearing off, lunch gives you the energy you need to make it through the rest of the day. Packing your own lunch is the best way to include a variety of healthy foods that will give your body the nourishment it needs. Ditch the greasy burgers and fries and try a few of the options recommended by our health coaches.
Health Coach Tips for PACKING A LUNCH
- Use turkey or chicken in subs/sandwiches rather than fatty meats
like salami and pepperoni, and use whole-grain bread too!
- Instead of greasy potato chips, pack whole-grain Sun Chips, Baked Lays, or even better, veggies!
- Trail mix, protein bars, or mixed nuts can make a great lunchtime snack! (But watch portion size, because nuts are high in calories.)
- Drop the pop and sugary drinks; bring a bottle of water instead!
- Have a sweet tooth? Pack a small piece of dark chocolate or some fruit for a sweet treat!
- Don’t assume a salad is always healthier. It depends on the ingredients.
For example, the Sheetz Crispy Chicken Salad has 637 calories and 25 grams of fat!
Although packing your lunch is a great way to ensure you’ll be eating healthy, some days you might find yourself at the drive thru because you’ve forgotten your healthy lunch at home. Click here to discover which menu items to avoid and which are healthier options.