Chili is a great dish you can put a healthy spin on, without losing all the flavor. Using lean ground turkey instead of ground beef lowers the fat content while providing a good dose of protein. Kidney beans are also a heart-healthy source of protein, with plenty of fiber to help lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol. Here’s a healthy and easy chili recipe to try that makes eight servings.
- 1 ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 C. water
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) can kidney beans — drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1 Tbs. garlic, minced
- Spices: 2 Tbs. chili powder, ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add turkey & onion. Cook until turkey is evenly browned and onions are tender.
- Pour in water. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, garlic, and spices.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy!