You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide (CO). But hundreds of people die every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or misused fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from CO produced by idling cars.
Prevention Is Key
- DO have your heating system, water heater, dryer, and any other gas, oil, coal, or wood-burning appliances checked by a qualified technician every year.
- DO your chimney checked or cleaned every year.
- DON’T idle the car in a garage—even if the garage door to the outside is open.
- DON’T use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
- DON’T ever use a charcoal grill indoors—even in a fireplace.
- DON’T sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
- DON’T use gas engines in enclosed spaces.