Even though you feel fine, high blood pressure is destroying your health.
– High blood pressure damages the lining of the arteries in your brain, making it easier for blood clots to form or rupture, causing stroke.
– High blood pressure makes your heart muscle thicker. It has a harder time pumping enough blood, which can lead to heart failure.
– The blood vessels in your kidneys get weaker and narrower. Your kidneys don’t work right, and wastes build up in your body.
– The blood vessels in your eyes are damaged. Thickened, narrowed or torn blood vessels destroy your vision.
– The flow of blood to your brain is reduced. You have a harder time remembering, learning, and understanding concepts.
Medications for high blood pressure can help protect you from all these effects. Diuretics help your body get rid of excess salt and water, reducing the volume of your blood and lowering your blood pressure. Beta-blockers slow the nerve impulses that travel through your heart and help your heart beat slower and with less force. ACE inhibitors relax your blood vessels and keep them from narrowing.
Our goal is to help our miners and their families have long, healthy, and happy lives. It’s an honor and a privilege for me to get to be a part of that.